If you already suffer from depression (like myself) I do not recommend this game, unless you have morbid curiosity (also like myself). “Actual Sunlight” is a game about love and depression and it recently became available in open beta, 3D form for Windows, Mac and Linux.
“Actual Sunlight” was initially built-in 2D using RPG Maker VX ACE, is a potentially disturbing tale that follows the life of would-be writer Evan Winter as he tries to navigate life.
The warnings for this game are real, however. A statement on the game’s download page reads,
“[Actual Sunlight] deals with extremely mature themes, including depression and thoughts of suicide. Similar to other forms of art that tackle these issues, Actual Sunlight can be an extremely powerful emotional experience – before downloading it, please first consider what your reaction to a book, film or piece of music in a similar vein might be.”
I honestly cannot tell you not to play it, however, if you should download the game and expect to have an intense reaction, feel free to take note of the numbers and information located at the International Suicide Prevention Wiki. Seriously, this game is very dark.
“Actual Sunlight” has gotten some very enthusiastic reviews including:
- “Gut-wrenchingly familiar.”
– Patricia Hernandez, Kotaku
- “Expertly-written, and cuts deep with its words.”
– Sophia Prell, The Penny Arcade Report
- “A game about the possibility that things can’t change, about reaching fatal interia.”
– Porpentine, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- “It might be the most profound and personal game I’ve ever played.”
– TP, TP-Review